Yesterday I explained the mathematics behind Sugihara’s Circle/Square Optical Illusion, which appears in this video.
Today I created a printable template from which you can make your own version of Sugihara’s object.
Click the following image to download the pdf.
Making the shape and seeing the illusion is easy.
- Cut out the figure at the top of the page.
- Fold a sharp crease along the dotted line.
- Tape the left and right edges together.
- Fold a sharp crease along the taped seam.
- Lightly squeeze together the creased sides so that the shape opens. Looking down on the shape it should have the shape at the bottom of the printout.
- Close one eye. Look down on the shape at a 45 degree angle so that the two creases line up with each other.
- Then turn it around 180 degrees and look again.